Red Whale Cancer Update
Red Whale are putting on a cancer update session for all GPs within the Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale locality. During this session they covered:
- Early diagnosis: Why is it so difficult and how we can shift the balance in favour of our patients?
- Lifestyle advice: is it really worth it?
- Cancer screening: Is early detection worth the burden of over diagnosis? How do we discuss this complex idea with patients?
- Cancer as a long term condition – what are the needs of your patients and what are the learning needs of your team?
We also focus in detail on some tricky areas:
- Difficult to spot cancers e.g. myeloma, lymphoma, renal tract cancers, sarcoma.
- Tumour markers: When and how to use them.
- Is aspirin the new cancer wonder drug?
And a Red Whale course wouldn’t be complete with lots of practical tips to go home with:
- Identifying a relevant cancer family history and what to do with it!
- How to follow up pre-cancerous conditions like Barrett’s oesophagus.
- Identifying a teachable moment and making the most of it.
- How to do a really good cancer care review.
- Find out which cancer treatment reduces fatigue, improves bone density, mental health and quality of life – and has no side effects.
- Best practice prescribing in ‘End of life care’ including how to make sense of all the different morphine preparations and how to sort out intractable hiccups.
- Lots of case studies to embed your knowledge in a patient story – the way most of us learn best!
The Red Whale Cancer Update was a success with our GP's from Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale.